Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Let's Get the Love Back

 

  Remember when you first met your husband, wife or partner, & that feeling you felt deep inside you?  The butterflies in your stomach, your heart felt like it was going to beat out of your chest & you felt like nothing else in the world mattered but you two.  Then REAL life happens . . . work, bills, kids, keeping up on the house & so on.  Well that fire that you felt inside at one point in your lives, can start to burn out after awhile & that's ok!  It’s normal!  A relationship takes commitment & some work, but you can make it fun work!  I have been there!  Where it seems like you will never feel those feelings again like you did before.  I thought to myself, “I have another 60 plus years with this man, so I better get to figuring this thing out!”  That’s when I decided to do some research & get ideas on how to keep my love alive & get that fire started back up again. 

  There are many things you can do to get back, & keep, that spark in your relationship, (which I will be adding different ideas in other posts), but this is one idea I came across that will bring you & your partner closer.  Both people in the relationship, make a list of 10 things that most make you feel loved & cared about.  Be specific, positive & descriptive.  Write what you want, instead of what you don’t want, & how much of what you want & when you want it.  Be as specific as possible, so that your partner can be successful at loving you.  Think of things that make you feel truly loved & cared for.  Start each sentence like this, "I feel loved when . . .”  Some examples might be “I feel loved when . . . you kiss me & tell me you love me each time you leave the house” or . . . “the house & kids are clean when I get home from work”

  Many people may find that what their partner needs & wants the most, may seem difficult for them to do.  Love is not always easy.  Sometimes love requires doing things you don’t want to do or don’t like to do, but knowing that there is a reason behind it.  I love these words; “Love is not just a feeling.  Love is an action.  Love is a choice.  When an action doesn’t come naturally it is an even greater gift of love.” By Laura M. Brotherson

  When you're both finished, share with each other what you both wrote.  BOTH of you commit to do at least one thing every day that makes your partner feel loved.  Try it for awhile, then get back together & talk about how things went & maybe change your lists up a bit. I got this idea from the book, “And They Were Not Ashamed” by Laura M. Brotherson, CFLE.  This book also has many other ideas to strengthen your marriage.  It was turned out really well when my husband & I did this activity.  It really gets you thinking about the other person, instead of yourself. 

  Let me know how this turns out for you & your relationship!  Can't wait to hear from you all!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment